The Pomodoro-Bounce


Writing is a stationary thing to do.

I can look at my manuscript and lose hours without even getting up for a wee!

Humans are made to move, we're supposed to be out hunting and foraging for food in the great wide world, not bent over a computer.

To combat this, I have started something I like to call the Pomodoro-Bounce technique. I got the idea from a passing comment by Mr Desvaux on the Best Seller Experiment podcast. 

It goes something like this:

1. I set a timer for 30 minutes. 

2. I work and work and work through the 30 minutes. (i.e. the pomodoro technique for keeping focused on your work)

3.When the alarm goes off, I walk to the kitchen and bounce like mad for 5 minutes on the sports trampette we got from the charity shop for £5 for our little person.

4. Sit down and do another 30 minutes writing.

5. Another 5 minutes bouncing.

etc...

Depending on what's going on with my writing, sometimes I bounce in silence, contemplating a writing problem. Some times I shout and make noises, reminding myself I do have a voice outside my own head. Other times I put on crazy loud music and sing!!! 

I shake my limbs and stretch as I boing.

By the time 5 minutes bouncing is done, I am normally feeling invigorated, pumped and ready to get back to writing. The blood is flowing round the old brain again and I am ready for the next 30 minutes of brain work.

I only really do this on the days I write for 2 hours or more in one day but it really does help me feel good and keep my body and work from getting stagnant.

Hope this helps!

If you don't have a trampette, try jogging or dancing on the spot. I do hula hooping too...all good stuff!

Until next Thursday, 

Yours, 

The Inkyscribe x 

Comments